Tuesday 31 January 2012

Day out to Coneligiano

I had a day out to Coneligiano in the foothills of the Dolomites.  The day was bitterly cold but I enjoyed it.


I first found a beautiful cage for hot chocolate - literally melted chocolate, I have never had one so rich.
But as I walked around town I realised this on only one of dozens.  The place was wall to wall Viennese type cafes.

First I went into the Duomo (cathedral) that had a wonderful Prieseppe (nativity scene) set in a model of the church.  So here are photographs of the scene and the outside of the church.





The towns streets were columned passageways similar to those in Bologna.


I also went to see an art exhibition of paintings by Lorenzo Lotto the nephew of Antonio Canaletto who painted in the same style and sometimes each others paintings were attributed to the other.

Liz recommended a place opposite for lunch, no menu so a guess from the description meat or fish.  I had macaroni with a cream meat sauce, beautiful soft bread followed by homemade tiramasu.  Delicious.

I returned to the station and was just in time for a train back to Venice.  I was so cold when I got back I went to bed to read and here I still am.  The north wind is freezing.  I have put a scarf down at the door to try to keep out the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment